- 4 egg yolks
- 6 Tbsp. butter
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2¼ tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄8 tsp. salt
- ¼ cup poppy seeds
- ½ cup cashews, ground
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tsp. lemon peel, grated
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. Madagascar bourbon vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. lemon extract
- 1 cup Cointreau (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Beat egg yolks until light in color. In a separate bowl, cream butter and sugars; add yolks and mix well. Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt, then stir in poppy seeds and cashews; add to egg/butter/sugar mixture.
- In a large mixing cup, beat the yogurt with a fork until loose; then add lemon peel, lemon juice, and extracts. Fold into cake mixture.
- Pour batter into well-greased and floured loaf pan. Bake for 50–55 minutes, or until tester comes out clean.
- If desired, soak with Cointreau and allow to stand overnight (in refrigerator) before serving. Serve cold or at room temperature.
- 2 cups thinly sliced Granny Smith apple (about 1 large apple)
- 2 cups thinly sliced ripe pear (about 1 large pear)
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1/2 cup orange sections (about 1 orange)
- 1/2 cup sliced banana (about 1 medium)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl. Drizzle with juice; toss gently.
- Combine syrup, nutmeg, and cinnamon in a small saucepan. Cook over low heat 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Spoon over fruit, and toss gently. Serve immediately.