Baked Strawberry French Toast
- 1 loaf day old challah, sliced into 3/4” thick slices
- 1 cup strawberries, hulled and sliced, plus more for garnish
- 4 eggs
- 3 1/2 cups milk
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh grated nutmeg
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Butter a 9 x 13” baking pan. Arrange the challah slices so that they are overlapping, tearing a few pieces in half if needed. Tuck the strawberries between the slices.
- In a medium mixing bowl, lightly beat the eggs. Whisk in the milk, sugar, salt, nutmeg, zest, and vanilla. Pour over the challah. Make sure that all of the slices are just about covered by the egg mixture–add more milk or rearrange the slices until they are. If refrigerating overnight, cover and chill. Otherwise, cover and refrigerate for a half hour, or longer if you have time.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and take the baking dish out of the fridge. Once the oven is up to temperature, bake for 40 – 45 minutes, until the french toast is a light golden brown and has puffed up nicely.
- Slice and serve immediately with maple syrup and sliced strawberries.