Tempura: Sweet Potato, Mushroom, and any herb (from HM:AWL)
- 3 tablespoons Greek olive oil, plus 1/4 cup
- 1 Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain rice
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 1/2 pounds baby squid, cleaned
- 1/2 cup tomato juice
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Heat 3 tablespoons of the oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until soft. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the rice and stir to coat with the mixture; cook for 1 minute. Add 3 cups water, tomatoes, season with salt and pepper, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and cook until the rice is tender and the water is completely absorbed, about 14 to 16 minutes. Remove from the heat and let sit 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and stir in the mint and parsley. Let cool.
Stuff the squid with the rice mixture. Drizzle half of the remaining oil in a medium baking dish. Add the squid and drizzle with remaining oil and the tomato juice and season with salt and pepper. Bake until the squid is tender, about 25 to 30 minutes. Serve immediately.
Thai people love seafood and spices and this dish is typical of a spicy Thai seafood dish. Its a whole Squid or calamari and they’re widely available in Thailand and always very fresh, usually it’s fried or barbecued, but this dish is a different way of cooking it. The squid is stuffed with seasoned pork meat and steamed to cook it gently then served in a spicy soup.
Ingredients for 2 people
100 gms Pork Mince
4 Garlic Cloves
1 Teaspoon Pepper
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Tablespoon Oyster Sauce
1 Large Whole Squid
Ingredients for Soup
1 Chicken stock cube
200 ml Water
50 gms Mixed Red and Green Chillis
1 Teaspoon Lemon Juice
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
Sliced Thai Cabbage
Must be served warm
Preparation of Squid
1. Peel the garlic, put the pork mince and garlic together with the salt and pepper in a blender and blend it until the garlic is well mixed in.
2. Clean out the inside of the squid. Cut off the head and try to keep the body of the squid intact as a hollow tube.
3. Stuff the pork mince mix into the squid until its full.
4. Score cuts into the top of the squid - this will allow the steam to reach the meat to cook it.
5. Steam for 10 minutes.
Preparation for the Soup
6. Take a small pot pan, add water & the chicken stock cube and bring it to boil until the cube has dissolved.
7. Put the chillies in a blender and blend until they are fine pieces. If you prefer, you can cut them by hand, but they must be fine.
8. Add the chillis to the soup and remove the soup from the heat.
9. Place the steamed squid on a serving plate, squeeze the lemon juice over the top of the squid.
9. Pour the soup around the base of the squid, and place some of the chilli pulp on the top for show.
Ideally this should be served on a heated metal plate with candles heating the base of the dish.
4 medium squid, cleaned, total weight 900g /2lb
4-8 finger length slices of feta cheese
90ml / 6 tblspn extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
3 or 4 oregano sprigs, leaves removed and chopped
salt and ground black pepper
lemon wedges to serve
Make sure the squid are well cleaned and rinsed, inside and out.
If there are tentacles on the squid, remove them from the bodies and keep.
Lay the bodies in a single layer in a shallow tray or dish.
Place the tentacles and the slices of feta cheese around the squid, making sure everything is in a single layer.
Make the marinade by putting the oil, garlic and oregano in a bowl and whisk together.
Season with salt and black pepper.
Remove one squid at a time and place 1 or 2 pieces of feta cheese and some of the oregano leaves inside the squid.
Preheat and oil a barbecue or grill on a low to medium setting and place the feta filled squid bodies onto the grill.
Grill the stuffed squid gently for about 6-8 minutes.
Turn them over and grill for another couple of minutes.
When you turn the stuffed squid over, add the tentacles to the grill and cook until they crisp slightly.
Serve this stuffed squid dish with a Greek Salad and crusty bread.